What do I do?
Out of curiosity, I decided to list some of the tasks I performed recently as an editor. The list included tasks such as
- analyzing the degree to which a resource addresses curriculum outcomes
- writing to fill gaps in content
- revising to improve the flow of ideas
- editing to meet the needs of different audiences
- writing instructions for graphic elements
- researching supplemental online resources
- revising text to fit its allotted space
- clarifying instructions for games
- editing to match house style
Then I categorized the tasks and estimated how much time I generally spend on each category.
Although some tasks stubbornly resisted categorization, I was interested to see these four broad stages of development emerge. Individual editors may focus on different stages but I think these four categories provide a pretty realistic summary of the process of developing content and the value an editor can add at each stage.
What would your work look like as a graph?