There are almost 150 kinds of dragonflies in Ontario.
What do you know about dragonflies? Try this quiz to find out.
Decide whether each statement is true or false:
- Dragonflies can fly backward.
- Dragonflies can fly upside down.
- Dragonflies can fly faster than a car can drive.
- Dragonflies live for only a few days.
- Dragonflies eat small fish.
© Jim Johnson https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/
(Don't peek until you've made up your own mind!)
- True. Dragonflies can fly forward and backward. They can hover, too.
- True. Dragonflies can fly upside down.
- False. But dragonflies can fly about 50 or 60 km/h, faster than a car drives on a dirt road.
- False. Dragonfly nymphs live for up to five years underwater, then dragonflies live as adults for about five weeks.
- True. Dragonfly larva eat anything that is small enough for them to grab, including small fish and tadpoles.